Friday, July 17, 2015

Eastern Trek for Cancer. Lets do this.

I can't believe how far I've come since running my first half marathon.  A few months after I did it I found a program that had the potential to change and impact lives, Eastern Trek for Cancer.  I thought about it and ultimately made the decision to run 100 miles for a week.

When I started all I wanted to do was raise at least $500.  What I was surprised to find out that I got more donations than I thought so I had to keep increasing my goal by $500.  Now I've raised the third most on the team and over $1,000.

Training for this race has been tough but it was the toughest this month.  I was hurt for a few days to start and I had to run 20 miles one day.  I did it and I felt incredible.  I know it's gonna be nothing compared to completing 100 miles.

Last year was hard for me and I wasn't enjoying life so much.  Now I realize I have a lot to live for and be excited about because yesterday is over.  I'm looking forward to looking back on my life to appreciate what I've done to help others out and on my rest days I will visit cancer patients and help them out.  That's what I'm really looking forward to the most.  Running is one of my three passions in life and to take that passion and use it to bring positivity to those that need it is what it's truly all about.

There is a ton of people I need to thank.  My best friend Adam Forester is first.  As I am writing this he is probably in Chicago.  Where did he start?  San Francisco.  He is running across the country!  I thank Adam for the encouragement he provided me to sign up for the run.  When you told me there were still spots left I knew this was exactly what I wanted to do.  Bros forever.

I also want to thank Matt Dexter.  I am meeting him for the first time tomorrow but I can already tell how amazing of a person he is.  Founding this program, while attending college can be a tough task but you did it!  I know your mom is smiling down from heaven.

My other best friend and day one homie Danny Marks is another important friend in my life.  He's had to put up with my crazy ass for 22 years.  He always supports me and I'll never forget him being the first person I saw crossing the finish line at my first half marathon.  That and the watching the Giants win two Super Bowls with you have been my favorite moments.

I also need to thank Mrs. Damaty.  If it really wasn't for you I would have never done this and I'm not even talking about the run.  You helped me reach my full potential in high school.  You taught me public speaking matters if I want to get a career in the sportscasting industry.  You taught me to be a good writer you have to put your heart into everything I write and I do that on everything now.

Mom, Dad, and Megan: Thank you for putting up with me and ultimately supporting no matter what I do even if you think I'm crazy.  Yes I am crazy for doing this but know that it's who I am and I can't help it.  I am who I am.

A lot of people told me that I'm crazy for doing this.  Yes I'm absolutely gonna run 100 miles and I'm gonna have a great time doing it.  It's gonna really help me ultimately train for a marathon in the future…

So this is Michael Marzzacco about to sign off.  Next time I'm online I am looking forward to sharing with you my experience from this adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment